Monday 23 May 2011

More Research...Ill tell you when ive had enough!

I looked into the differences and similarities between the Western and Japanese game markets, based off the suggestions I received from my Prototype feedback, and I chose the Role-playing game genre as an example to analyse in depth. I chose this specific genre, because those created in Japan are completely different to those made for Western audiences. I think this was a good area to look into, as my game kind of addresses both sort of regions; its has heavily inspired Japanese themes throughout, but it is created by myself as a westerner for a Western market, so how to make it appeal to everyone is something that needs considering in-depth.
I also took all of my information id gathered so far from book sources on Game Concept Art, and annotated it all, analysing all the different areas of the process, from character design to level design. Whether it was relevant to my own artwork in terms of what I get to design in my own work or not, I still think its important to look at as much development styles as possible to get an overall idea of the process im undertaking in my project. Also, as my project is addressing games budget issues by creating a games concept that could be adapted to any budget, ive looked at a game that has done the same or at least attempted it, in the form of the first Assassins Creed game.
Things learnt from in-depth research:

  • Greater understanding of Game Development process
  • What differentiates Western style games from Japanese ones, and how games developers adapt to each market
  • Games which already attempt to address the same problem that im addressing in my project

No comments:

Post a Comment