Monday 23 May 2011

Creating More Characters & Environments

After my trip to Manchester Museum, i took my photos of Japanese weaponry and used them as a reference to draw and design the weapons that my main character, Benkei would use in the game. I sketched them with the traditional look and style in mind, but decided on making them more advanced and convenient to use; i made both his main weapon, the Naginata and his swords retractable, so that they fold up into the handle, making him able to carry multiple weapons at any one time.
I also started to develop other characters apart from Benkei and Princess Onin, though I now had facial references to use for the characters faces at least. I decided on doing antagonists first, to show who the main villains of the game were, taking my initial sketches, using inspiration of attire, references of historical characters to come up with the final line art of Emperor Kiyomori, Lady Tomoe and Gio. Because I needed visuals of every character ready in time for the final Prototype presentation, I had to do rough final sketches to demonstrate what both Yoshitsune and Yoichi look like so that I could work on these when i had more time.
I also took the opportunity to work on three more environments, taking the advice from Wakeel to create environment which not only depict a stage in the game, but also demonstrate the game play and what the game is about in each piece of artwork. I decided on creating artwork based on the following;
~The Titan Valley (the same environment I depicted last time, but this time showing a scene that demonstrates the 'save the princess' element to the game)
~Salamander Path (an underground cavern depicting Benkei leading the princess to safety)
~The Shrine (the destination of the Princesses journey, depicting a scene that shows a twist in the story...what is the purpose of the Princess's journey? and what role does the main character, really have to fulfil?)






No comments:

Post a Comment